Today I started my day with an Office Web Apps Farm that was not working anymore. After reviewing the Event Log I figured something strange happened… :)
The Event Log was basically full with .Net Runtime and Application Errors, I’ll paste some for reference:
Log Name: Application Source: .NET Runtime Event ID: 1026 Application: ppteditingbackendwatchdog.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException Stack:    at Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.ServiceInstanceFinder.GetLocalAgentInstance(Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.OfficeServiceType)    at Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.WatchdogHelper.PrepareRegistrations(Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.OfficeServiceType)    at Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.WatchdogHelper.WatchMachines(Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.OfficeServiceType, CheckServiceInstance, Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.OfficeServiceType, System.String)    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Powerpoint.Watchdog.EditingBackend.Program.Main(System.String) ... Log Name: Application Source: Application Error Event ID: 1000 Faulting application name: ppteditingbackendwatchdog.exe, version: 15.0.4481.1000, time stamp: 0x50ee5a9e Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988aa6 Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x000000000003811c Faulting process id: 0x94c Faulting application start time: 0x01ce2b83409e789a Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Web Apps\PowerPointEditingServicesWatchdog_App\ppteditingbackendwatchdog.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: 7e88e5ec-9776-11e2-93f3-0050569e79e3 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:
There would be the same errors for all of the Web Apps (Excel, Word…) Needless to say, neither SharePoint 2013 nor Lync 2013 would be able to leverage features that required Web Apps Server. So, what’s next?
Well I continued digging through the Event Log and realized that the Server was patched and restarted very recently, as part of the patching someone applied KB2760445. Sweet.
So I started searching TechNet for information on that Update for Office Web Apps and found a nice article on how to Apply software updates to Office Web Apps Server. Basically it goes like this: After patching the Server, you will have to re-create the Office Web Apps Farm. In my case, I simply removed the farm using
and then re-used the same cmdlet I used to create the Web Apps Farm initially.
New-OfficeWebAppsFarm -InternalUrl "https://myOWAserver.tomt.local" -ExternalUrl "https://office.ntsystems.it" –CertificateName "ntSystems OfficeWebApps" –EditingEnabled
If there is one take-away from this, it is very likely: Read that documentation, oh, and please, do test!
This post has been migrated from our earlier blog based on BlogEngine.NET.