When you upload files or images in Sharepoint you have get a pop-up that asks you about the file, destination library and an option to overwrite extsting files.
When the pop-up appears the checkbox “Overwrite existing files” is checked. To change the default setting we have to change 2 aspx files:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\Layouts
- Make a backup of the following files: upload.aspx and uploadex.aspx
- Edit the upload.aspx file
- Locate the line which contains: <asp:CheckBox id=”OverwriteSingle” Checked=”true” Text=<%$Resources:wss,upload_document_Overwrite_file%>” runat=”server” />
- Change the Checked=”true” to Checked=”false“
- Edit the uploadex.aspx file and make the same changes on the same lines
- Save the files
- Perform an IISRESET
The checkbox is now not selected default anymore.